Founded in 1915 as specialists in humidifiers for the textile industry, Bahnson Mechanical Systems (BMS) has grown to become one of the nation’s foremost full-service mechanical contractors for markets ranging from industrial process and power to commercial, institutional, and more.
Throughout our more than 100 years in the industry, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to delivering professional solutions and mechanical systems of the highest quality.
- 1915 – Agnew H. Bahnson, Sr., Fred Bahnson, and James Gray incorporate the Normalair Company to sell and manufacture centrifugal humidifiers to the textile industry.
- 1947 – Business grows as textile industry expands to meet pent-up demand.
- 1964 – Bahnson Company begins to market its HVAC design and construction experience outside the textile industry.
- 1965 – The 300,000-square-foot Agnew H. Bahnson Jr. plant is put into operation in Winston-Salem, NC.
- 1980 – Bahnson becomes the leading supplier for air handling, HVAC, and exhaust systems to nuclear facilities. Intermech division. is incorporated.
- 1981 – Activities are expanded to include erection of industrial ESP and filtration and process piping systems, as well as pulp and paper and other industrial drying systems.
- 1996 – Company develops a comprehensive strategy to diversify business away from the textile industry.
- 2000-2002 – Bahnson makes a number of major acquisitions across the country, including multiple leading mechanical and process piping firms.
- 2009 – Intermech division opens 75,000-square-foot sheet metal and pipe fabrication facility in Aiken, SC.
- 2011 – EMCOR Group acquires Bahnson.
- 2017 – Triad fabrication shop undergoes major expansion.
- 2021 – Permanent office location is opened in Research Triangle Park, NC.